1.to remain or stay on in a place longer than is usual or expected, as if from reluctance to leave: We lingered awhile after the party.
2. to dwell in contemplation, thought, or enjoyment: to linger over the beauty of a painting.
3. to be tardy in action; delay; dawdle: to linger in discharging one’s duties.
4. to walk slowly; saunter along.
Doesn’t the word “Linger” bring images of relaxation and rest to your mind? That is what I have done in my Prayer Chair this morning. I have LINGERED.
After completing my Bible Study on John 9, I was reminded of how this story is such a reflection of a process that is a bit familiar in my daily life.
1) “Religion” ALWAYS interferes with what Jesus is trying to do. He is about relationship, not religion. Transformation not tactics. Faith not facts.
2) Sometimes things that are going on in life, seem to be something God would surely do differently if He were “really listening to our prayers”. The truth is they are exactly what He wants to use to bring Himself Glory and a chance to display His sovereignty.
3) Sometimes we try to “over think” what God is or is NOT doing. We spend lots of time LINGERING (verbally or mentally) on the way we think He should or should not do it.
4) Christ is always attempting to lead us in a PROGRESSION of Faith:
Step 1– A certain circumstance or situation is presented to us.
Step 2– An opinion is formed about Jesus’ part in what is going on. What He can or Can not do about it. What He WILL or will NOT do.
Step 3– An opportunity is offered for us to choose to believe that God is God and we are not, and He is GOOD, ALL THE TIME, in spite of what we see or don’t see!!
As I study the Word of God, I always try to apply what I am reading to what I am personally experiencing. This one was really easy.
I truly love God’s Word don’t you? There is never a morning when He doesn’t reveal a new blessing, truth, commandment or correction in my thinking.
Today has been another one of those days. It was worth the LINGER!!
When is the last time you “Lingered” in the Presence of Jehovah??
Today is your day! I would love to hear where He held you up 🙂