I have spent a good bit of time over the past few weeks evaluating last year and planning for next year. I have some very BHAG’s (Big Hairy AUDACIOUS Goals!) for 2011 that are going take some major time and focus.
At the same time, I have considered what needs to stay and what needs to go in my life.
Along with many other things, I have been contemplating the value of my blog.
I love to write.
I love to imagine that someone is enjoying my ponderings or being encouraged or smiling.
I just don’t know. Is it making a difference? Is it worth the time?
Then…I read THIS! Today’s post by Michael Hyatt, one of my favorite bloggers.
He pointed out 6 reasons that he stops reading certain blogs. Not that I think he has ever read mine so I didn’t take his checklist as a rejection, the timing was just right since I was contemplating the value of my own blog. That could be why his blog is so popular, good timing and stuff.
I have read lots of Blog “How To’s” posted by Michael and others and have tried to heed their advice. So, again, with the attitude of learning and improving, I took the test.
This was my honest with myself evaluation:
1. Titles (I personally think I do OK on this–I mean how cute is my title above??? ..maybe not) The problem I see is my titles are “cute” but sometimes meaningless. I don’t think they make someone hurry over to read. I mean who really cares about a “Blah Blog” even if it is VERY cute? (Thanks to Crazy Tree Media)
2. Post are boring— :(—-are you still with me???
3. Too infrequent—Big FAT guilty!!
4. Too long. Ditto– I stopped half way through most of my own re-reads.
5. Too UNFOCUSED–In my opinion, THIS IS MY WORST!! Oh my. I am ALL over the topics page. Christmas Trees and Recipes, Family photos and Footwear. Ministry and Music in bus terminals.
6. Don’t participate in the conversation..I GOT a 100/A plus here. TahDah! After all, I only get a handful of comments. I respond to every single one! I truly value and enjoy each one.
How about you? How does your blog rate? Do you sometimes wonder if it is worth the time?