Last Saturday, the first day of 2011, our family was gathered in the rocking chairs on our front porch, enjoying the perfect Florida Winter day (in our shorts!) and watching our little “G’s” play in the grass.
All seemed well with the world when my middle son came bursting through the front door, “Mom, are you TRYING to catch the house on fire??”
I do have a tendency to do this so I knew I was the culprit who left the Chili on high instead of low. The entire kitchen had filled with stinky smoke and the Chili was, well HOT.
A few Christmas’s back we were all sitting in the Living Room opening gifts when a disorderly candle flame caught a flower arrangement on fire, and no more flower arrangement.
Then, THESE were our surprise guest at last years Thanksgiving Day dinner:
Yep, I can be a bit dangerous when it comes to friendly fire.
The good news is, I can be pretty successful at sparking GOOD fires as well. God fires that is. LIFE fires. I love to do that in my own life but I am passionate about doing it for others.
God’s Word says in 2 Timothy 1:6 that we are to—
* FAN THE FLAME
* STIR UP THE GIFT
* REKINDLE THE EMBERS of the Gifts God has placed in us.
How HOT are you feeling about what God has called you to do? Are you very clear about THE GIFT(S) He has given you?
This verse say that WE, not God, are to FAN OUR OWN FLAME!!
He has given us the gifts, the talents, the directions and PLENTY of territory in which to serve.
It’s our job to TAKE ACTION!
The next verse in 2 Timothy 1 verse 7, gives us 3 very clear steps:
1) NO FEAR–Don’t be afraid to try and follow the passion God has placed in YOUR heart. Don’t look for something easier, or something someone else is doing or approves of, don’t look for something more popular. Trust what FIRE burns in your own heart. Trust it. What makes you burn inside? What makes you happy? What makes you angry? What do you hear about or see that makes you think “SOMEONE NEEDS TO HELP!”? The hungry? the homeless? children? single moms? teens? teaching? singing? writing??
2) POWER–Take a step into your territory–if God called you to do it, He will open doors, He will lead the way once you step in, He will make things happen but YOU have the POWER to make the first move. He may be waiting for you.
3) LOVE–Walk in Love. The greatest way to smother your spiritual flame is to carry unforgiveness in your heart. It will smother your gifts and talents faster than a bucket of water on the Wicked Witch of the West (or was it East?), and keep you from the joy of experiencing all God has for your life. Unforgiveness is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. Give it up. Let it Go. Whatever chance is given to you, whatever is up to you…Forgive and move on. Choose Love.
4) SOUND MIND–Keep your head and heart on things that are GOOD!! Stay focused on what GOD SAYS, what is right, what is a blessing, what is an opportunity? Don’t spend a single minute focused on past mistakes or failures. Once they are surrendered to God, they are ASH. Burned up in His giant GRACE fire. Try again.
Are you on FIRE today??
If not…what’s holding you back??