The question I hear MOST OFTEN is “What is my purpose and how do I find it?”.
Although we each have a unique purpose, more often than not our unique purpose is uncovered as we step into one or more of four (maybe five 🙂 common purposes.
We are pausing over that though this week on the Permission to Pause Podcast Episode #39. I hope you will listen and PRETTY PLEASE SHARE!
1) God has a fellowship purpose for you. God started humankind as a team. Remember, He created Adam then quickly saw that Adam needed a help-mate. We have been created and designed for fellowship, friendship and community. You will not experience your full purpose in God alone. Remember my story back in Chapter 3 as I shared how much the Butterfly in me needed that Hummingbird in my husband and the Lady Bug of my best friend to get started in my ministry? You are the same way; you need other believers who will pray with you, help you see your “calling” and share day-to-day life. Have you established yourself in a “fellowship” of believers? Do you have a church home where you worship, learn and SERVE with your gifts? Are you part of a small prayer and accountability group who will pray for God’s plans and purposes with you?
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. – 1 John 1:7
2) God has a discipleship purpose for you. The walk of faith is an ongoing, ever-growing walk. If we are to fulfill our purpose in Christ, we must press in for increasing knowledge and understanding of who God is, how He operates, what His voice sounds like. We must study to “show ourselves approved” as the scriptures say, before we can fully embrace all of God’s purposes. God can only use you for as much as you are able to apply and press in for. There is a Bible verse that reminds us “for whom much is given, much is required.” We are to be life long disciples of God’s Word, God’s Work, God’s Will. A mentor of mine told me very early in my walk with Christ, “Pat–You can’t give away what you do not have!”
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. – John 8:31
3) God has a ministry purpose for you. I could create a long list here of the troubles in the world. I could list statistics about poverty; divorce; addictions; homelessness; incarcerations; abortion; sex trafficking… But honestly, do I really need to? Do you know about these needs in your world, you neighborhood, your family? Yes, of course you do. You know there is ministry to be done right where you are. We do not have to sit and wonder what has God “called me to do.” God has called you to do SOMETHING. Do what is in front of you. Take the anointing God has placed in you and drop it into the closest place you see needing HIM. You may be the ONLY one who says YES to that need today. Be a ministry right where you are, right now, sister. God has called you. He IS calling you right now. Say Yes.
4) God has a worship purpose for you. As I write these words to you my friend, today there is a worship song playing in my home office.
“Let the weak say I am strong. Let the poor say I am rich. Let the blind say I can see. It’s what the Lord has done in me…”
Frankly, I couldn’t tell you who’s who in popular secular music…unless I am in the car with my Country music-loving daughter (which is NOT a bad thing, don’t get me wrong). I just normally choose to fill my inner and outer space with songs of praise and worship. I know what I need to keep myself aligned with God’s best purpose in me. I choose to have a song of praise rolling in my mind when I wake up in the morning and listen to it play all day. When we have worship on our lips it is very tough for the enemy to get ANYTHING of his to settle into our hearts. Utter a song of praise today and you will dance in your Unstuck Purpose of praising your savior!
Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker – Psalm 95:6
Hey and as a BONUS!!….
5) God has an evangelism purpose for you. My friend, if you have no other understanding of your purpose in Christ, it is undeniable that God has an evangelism purpose for you. This is my proposal. Start with what we shared in the last section—Chapter 8 – your own story. What has been the biggest thing God has done in your life? Save your marriage? Heal your broken heart? Forgive a life of past sin? Rescue a child? Walk your THROUGH the loss of a child? Heal your body? Hold you through affliction? Tell Somebody, Today! There are so many people who need to hear our stories! Everything I mentioned earlier has an evangelistic need to hear your voice share hope with somebody else. In the crisis pregnancy center I founded in Tampa, we are always desperate for volunteers to come in and share their story and, ONE DAY, potentially save a life. Can you think of anything better to do with your day?
Your primary purpose is to know God and make Him known.
Share your thoughts for a chance to win a free Life Unstuck Book!!
Leave a Reply