Bye, Bye 2013. Sorry, but I do not hate to see you go.
Honestly, this has been a pretty TOUGH year. Emotionally, it has been exhausting. Life has brought way too much transition for my taste and rendered too many closed doors for my comfort. I have been stretched in directions that I didn’t want to go and bruised in places that I didn’t know I had. I have had more than one “ugly cry” and more than one “come to Jesus” meeting WITH JESUS! The worst part, the part, I hate to admit most, is that almost all of those “meetings” have been about the same things.
I am sorry to admit that way too much of my personal time with the Lord this year has involved my simple surrender to His redeeming rules. You know, like when you have to ask your kids 1,000 times NOT to leave the toilet paper roll empty or the back door open but they still do it anyways. You know how you will never give up on trying to teach them common sense stuff? That how the Lord is with us and I have always been a stubborn daughter. Always. (Right Mom? 🙂 I KNOW you are reading this!) It seems like some of the bigger things are easier for me to take hold and obey in Kingdom truth than the smaller things like–“LET GO PAT–I’ve Got This!”. “I am God and YOU are NOT!”. That kind of stuff.
The Lord has had to have the same “change that chats” with me more times than He should have this year. I have not given up easily in some battles that were best un-fought.
In spite of myself, God IS ALWAYS HIMSELF! Year after Year after Year.
He always holds.
He always leads.
He always restores.
He always forgives.
He always gives us another chance to say YES Lord, YES! I am taking Him up on that chance this year.
I would love to think that in spite of the challenges of this past year, I have grown spiritually and that somewhere along the way I have blessed someones journey or at least not damaged it.
So, along with my excitement about 2014 and my journal full of dreams for the new year I just had to make a list of what I DON’T Plan to bring with me into 2014.
I humbly share them with you. Maybe you will relate to one or two.
15 Things I am leaving behind in 2013.
1) Believing that other people hold the keys to my success.
2) Feeling guilty for what I have or have not accomplished, compared to what someone else has or has not accomplished (i.e.–using other peoples life to set the bar for my life.)
3) Lack of order in my private world–also known as SELF DISCIPLINE!
4) Sadness about not doing better then, what I know I could do better now.
5) Holding on to things that feel safe rather than reaching for things that are completely risky.
6) Taking responsibility for making everything right for everybody and thinking if I just try hard enough, I can please everyone.
7) Feeling that exercise and rest are for another day.
8) Forgetting to be thankful.
9) Taking myself too seriously. Spending too much time in my own head.
10) Expecting to please everyone and have everyone like me. AKA-Approval Addiction.
11) Not being generous enough.
12) Giving too few hugs.
13) Thinking more about wrinkles and scales than smiles and blessings.
14) Choosing to focus on what is wrong instead of what is right.
15) Allowing Kingdom WORK to overtake the time I spend with Jesus that NOBODY sees but Him.
Those are just a few but maybe just enough to get me started on the right foot for a brand new year!
How about you?
What do you plan to leave behind on 2013?
If you share in the COMMENTS, you will be entered in my last Give-Away of 2013.